In this episode of the Innovation For All podcast, we’re joined by Delali Kpodzo, the Co-Founder of We Are Onyx, a popular beauty destination for Black women and women of color. We dive into her entrepreneurial journey, why women of color need specific personal care solutions, and the state of the current beauty market.
Discover how a hair salon mishap led Delali to start We Are Onyx, which has reached more than $2 million in sales. Delali thinks that’s just the beginning in a vastly untapped market.
IN THIS EPISODE
CONNECT WITH DELALI
- When does it make sense to choose a subscription box model over the e-commerce model?
- What are the specific beauty concerns that Black women have that are being overlooked by the mainstream beauty market?
- What inspired and motivated Delali to start We Are Onyx?
- Black women spend three times more than every other demographic on beauty products.
- “Discontinuation [of products for women of color] is unacceptable.”
- “It doesn’t matter if you know nothing about how to achieve your goal, as long as you’re willing to learn as you go.”
Voting with your wallet, entrepreneur-style With Stella McShera
On this episode of the Innovation For All podcast, we chat with Stella McShera, the CEO and Founder of equallet (equality + wallet), a local search-platform to help you connect with Women-Owned Business in Southern California. Discover how equallet supports the growth of every female founder, consumer, or investor, and helps bridge the gender gap in business. The platform promises collaboration and more opportunities for its growing community. We also dive in deep the issue of gender pay gap… Are workplaces changing for the better? Has the political system shift had an effect on it?
Stella also shares her experience growing up as a mixed-race American. She recalls stories of how the experience of race varied based on where she lived or traveled.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- How does equallet help achieve gender equality?
- Is it OK to seek out women-owned business at the expense of male-owned ones? Equality vs. Equity
- What was it like for Stella during the time Trump was declared the winner of the presidency?
- How can women in business be competitive when they’re receiving less initial investment?
- Women-Owned Business tend to hire more diverse teams
- “We won’t achieve financial gender equality until 2025.” – Stella McShera
- How Stella struggled with the idea of being a “woman scientist” instead of just a scientist
- Donald Trump
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- United Nations
- Crazy Rich Asians